Friday, August 9, 2019

Back in Cartagena: Hace mucho calor!

Peter flew back to Cartagena on Sunday, July 28, and I arrived on Wednesday, August 7.  Mantra had been in Ferroalquimar boatyard since the beginning of May and was supposed to be back in the water when I returned, but, well, she wasn't.  So, for a day, I had to climb the the long ladder to the stern swim step in order get aboard.  It is strange being on a boat in the air; it is perfectly still.  I guess it is a good thing that it does not rock when the ground is over 12 feet below!

Mantra in the boatyard
The next day we "splashed."  The boat was raised in the enormous travelift, slowly transported to the water and delicately placed back in her natural element.  Peter had worked on the prop, among numerous other things, and she motored very smoothly out into the bay.  We passed cargo docks and the white statue of the Virgin Mary situated near the north shore as we returned to Club Nautico.  We will not talk about the worst docking we have ever done--way too embarassing.

Mantra being transported to the water
Peter patiently perseveres in fixing and improving things.  Unfortunately, I added to his jobs when I thoroughly cleaned the boat before I left at the end of April.  I used bleach to clean and discourage mold over the summer.  Bleach and whale pumps--the pumps that move water from the sinks and showers and toilet to the outside of the boat or the holding tank--are not compatible, it seems.  I have learned my lesson and Peter, the saint that he is, has forgiven me.

While Peter has worked on his projects, I have been cleaning and doing laundry.  Soon the boat's interior will have a place for everything and everything in its place again.

This is what the salon looked like right after I arrived.  The bulky portable A/C was appreciated, though.
The humidity is always a shock to my system after the wonderful climate of central California.  One benefit of the high moisture content of the air, however, is that it seems to plump up the skin, so my aging, crinkling skin looks much younger!

We have witnessed the effects of global warming first hand the last two evenings.  On the street which runs along the bay in this district, the bay water has flooded the street in various places.  Without hurricanes or other phenomena causing tidal surges, Cartagena builders apparently did not see any reason not to build directly on the waterfront, with the first floors of businesses and residences at street level.

Flooded street by the bay in Cartagena
Peter needed plumbing parts to repair the damage I caused, so he and I walked to the Colombian equilavent of Home Depot.  And everyone thinks we are on an extended vacation!

Peter shopping for plumbing supplies

No comments:

Post a Comment