Saturday, October 26, 2019

Out into the Scary Pirate-Infested Sea

Thursday, Oct. 24, was yet another day with little to do. In the afternoon, Peter and I took the dinghy out to a wreck on the ring reef and snorkeled in the crystal clear water among huge schools of doctor fish and blue tang. I spotted an ocean triggerfish, and Peter discovered two octopi and an eel hiding out in the coral. Among the colorful coral encrusted metal remains of the ship I found a large frogfish quietly sitting near the bottom, unperturbed by our presence. We also saw a couple of filefish and other fish which, despite my page turning in our reef fish books, we could not identify, although I suspect that the slender tangerine fish with lilac trim were juvenile forms of some species of wrasse.

In the night, the wind picked up and we our anchor chain was pulled taut, so we had to turn on the engine and the windlass and increase our scope. Earlier in the day, just as we returned from snorkeling, a French boat had to re-anchor because of squally winds.

On Friday, Oct. 25, we provisioned for our trip to Honduras and met with our agent to clear out. Now it is Saturday, and we are getting the boat ready to leave. Peter is worrying about pirate attacks and I am worrying about going stark raving mad being at sea for approximately five days and nights. (I hope not more than that!) I will need to suspend posting until we arrive at the Bay Islands of Honduras or Guatemala.

No comments:

Post a Comment