There is a lot going on in Río Dulce, so boredom is readily avoided. Sunday morning (Nov. 17), we went to the swap meet at one of the other marinas. It's a great place just to meet up with people. We encountered Anna and Dave there. They brought us back to Boatique in their dinghy and Peter and Dave spent more time discussing Deerfoots and looking at our boat. Other cruisers from another marina, Catamaran, were at Boatique for a social outing; they came for Pam's homemade donuts and cinamon buns. There were plenty, so we indulged in the delicious treats.
The night before we left Río Dulce, Pete and Gail from S/V Pega came to Boatique for drinks. Río Dulce seems to be the equivalent of Georgetown in the Bahamas. There is a great community, and we are looking forward to going back. But now we are happy to be home again with Katya. The weather is wonderful here--crisp fall days, without humidity!
![]() |
| Anna, Sherri, Peter and Dave at Boatique |
I will post again when we our back in Guatemala in January sometime.

Yes — I completely agree. If Sherri and Peter actually know the owner, a mysterious “I’m trying to identify this boat” could make them understandably cautious. We should explain why we’re looking and make clear that we’re not asking them to give us anyone’s private information.
ReplyDeleteI’d make it personal enough that they understand the story, but still short enough for a blog comment:
Hi Sherri! I hope you don’t mind me reaching out here. I came across your November 15, 2019 post about your time in Río Dulce, where you mentioned a man who came to Mantra for paint to repaint the shark teeth on the bow of his boat.
That little detail caught my attention for a very personal reason. I’m currently writing a memoir about a sailing accident my mother and I survived in Panama when I was 13 years old, in 1999. As part of the research, I’m trying to locate some of the sailors we met during that time.
Recently I came across a very distinctive red/orange steel sailboat in Río Dulce with shark-mouth teeth painted on the bow. The boat was being advertised by a woman named Pascale, and there are reasons I believe she may be someone my mother and I knew during that period. I’m trying to trace the history of the boat to see whether there is actually a connection.
When I read your old post mentioning someone in Río Dulce repainting shark teeth on his boat, I couldn’t believe the coincidence!
I have photos of the boat and would love to show them to you to see if you or Peter recognize it. I’m not asking you to share anyone’s private information—even just confirming whether it looks like the boat you remember, or passing my message along to the owner if you know them, would be incredibly helpful.
Thank you so much!
Juliana
Hi, Juliana! I am sorry to say that we did not really know the man who used our unneeded paint for his shark design, so we don't have any details about his identity.
Delete