Saturday, March 23, 2019

More Non-Adventures in Port Antonio

Another couple of days have passed, and there is not much news from here. Last night the "music" was so loud that I finally had to close all the durades and hatches, forfeiting the nice breeze from outside. The difference was amazing; I could barely hear any noise from outside, so I guess I must totally close up the boat every night from now on.

Boats come and go from the marina, and I watch the arrivals and departures and greet the new people if I pass them on the dock or see them at the poolside restaurant. A couple of days ago, I started chatting with a woman by the pool, and we soon realized that we are from the same place! Carla, her husband Joe and their grandson, whom they have adopted, Ethan, live in the foothills just east of us in California. Even more amazing, Joe worked at Intel in Folsom also and remembers Peter! Over the past couple of days, she and I have spent quite a few hours together and have learned so much about each others' lives, families and adventures, including things that we usually wouldn't discuss with perfect strangers after only a day or two of acquaintance! This probably indicates something about our compatibility but probably says even more about how much I, at least, have missed having anyone to talk with.

On my own on the boat, in addition to Spanish lessons, reading and solitaire, I amuse myself in small ways. I have exhausted the entertainment value of finding all the cashews in the large jar of mixed nuts from Costco since I consumed the last of them this morning. The last two days, I have sat for a while on the swim platform and thrown wadded up pieces of stale bread into the water to attract sargeant majors (the fish, not hunky military guys) and then attempted to take photograph them.  Here are the best of the bunch:

Sergeant majors competing for food
Sergeant majors, part of the rudder in the water on the left and reflections of me and the sky on the surface

1 comment: