Wednesday, March 20, 2019

STILL in Port Antonio

Not much new here. The political campaigns continue unabated. There are two candidates for a seat in the Jamaican parliament, but the frequency and volume of the endorsements for one predominate. Ann Marie Vas, whose husband is already a member of parliament from the adjacent district (Do they not live together? Maybe you don't have maintain your primary residency in the district you propose to represent?), has organized a vocal campaign (although the scuttlebutt here is that her husband is directing everything. Have I been here too long???) Every telephone pole and post bears identical small posters displaying her face, name and campaign slogans. These can be ignored, and they are so redundant that this is easily accomplished. But the proclamations from loudspeakers mounted on top of various cars cruising the streets of Port Antonio in Portland Parish cannot be silenced despite my fervent wishes.

They call out for support of AC-tion Ann. It sounds like they are advertising a new Mattel doll.  "She can hit; she can kick; she can throw around her money and political clout!" She may be a worthy companion for GI Joe. (Is he still around?) The voices rise in excitement and then become strident and bellicose. Personally, I am ready to take on AC-tion Ann and smother her noise pollution. Were I in a position to vote, I would vote for anyone but her if only because I am so annoyed by her unbelievably loud campaign. But maybe this is what Jamaicans respond to?

Notwithstanding the noise from the land, it has been quiet here at the marina for the past two days. Both the boats with large French families departed Monday afternoon after spending hours in the pool and beside the pool before going their separate ways. It was very nice of them to include them in their fun and games.

Some of the French kids in the pool
Zelie in my sunglasses
Eight of the eleven kids (from two families) watching Disney cartoons on my computer
The highlight of yesterday was running the generator! I closed up all the hatches and durades and used the air conditioner to reduce the temperature from 87 (actually, it didn't seem that hot) to 73 degrees while charging the batteries. I kept the boat closed up all night, so if there was noise, it didn't bother me, and there were no mosquitoes. The two previous nights, a couple sneaked in. After the din from shore had ceased and I was falling asleep, I heard that annoying hum by my ear and slapped the side of my head so hard I was wide awake again. But at least the mosquito was dead!

I pass the days studying Spanish for a few hours, reading novels and playing solitaire. I make myself one meal a day because I'm not that hungry and supplement this with an order of French fries at the poolside restaurant each day, where I go for a change of venue. About every two or three days, I take a small walk about town to get away from the boat and the pool. And so it goes. . . .

Sunset from Errol Flynn Marina



No comments:

Post a Comment