Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Oxford, Maryland

It was another hot and humid day here. We are anchored on the quaintly named Plaindealing Creek off the Tred Avon River; the little town of Oxford is on the other side. Peter decided to spend the day here working on various projects, so I did three loads of laundry. In the intense sunshine, most of the clothes dried on the line in an hour.

We dinghied over to town for a late lunch at the same restaurant as yesterday because we liked the food and the staff. It was heavenly to walk into the air-conditioned space. When we returned to the boat, it was so sweltering that sweat was dripping off my brow even though I was standing still. Usually we wait until evening to turn on the AC if we need to, but it was 88 degrees in the cabin (and the ambient humidity got as high as 75% today), which, in my opinion, was just unendurable. As the cabin cooled down slowly (thankfully, now at 9 p.m., it is 75 degrees), Peter took a short nap and I had a long, lazy siesta. 

The only good things about the weather conditions is that it was even too hot for the flies!

I took no photos today. Maybe I should have taken shots of laundry on the lifelines? Here is one I took a few days ago illustrating why we don't jump in the water to cool off. The bay and its tributaries near the mouths are swarming with sea nettles, moon jellies and common jellyfish at this time of year.

Sea nettle in the green water of the Chesapeake



No comments:

Post a Comment