Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Land Detour to Washington, D.C.

Yesterday (July 13), we pulled up anchor and headed down the Potomac, out past Smith Point into the Chesapeake. It was another great day for sailing, and we enjoyed the wind on an otherwise hot and humid day. We anchored on the Great Wicomico near the home of our friends Mick and Christine, tidied up the boat and got ready for them to join us for drinks (which they generously provided!) and snacks. The breeze was negligible and the humidity was still high. With sweat beading our faces, I suggested a retreat to the air-conditioning down below, and no one objected. As always, we enjoyed visiting with them.

This morning, Mick picked me up at 8:30 in their launch and transported me to their dock. We climbed the hill to their lovely home, and I took off in Peter's Tesla, which they had been kind enough to keep for a month. I am driving to Oxford, Maryland, while Peter and Katya are sailing there. Since it's less than a five hour drive but a two day sail, I have stopped in Washington, D.C., to visit my good friend Lori Shoemaker. This afternoon, we enjoyed a visit to the Phillips Collection, and this evening we walked over to Wisconsin Avenue to buy pho for dinner, which we brought back to the house in Glover Park. Due to the pandemic, it has been over two years since I have seen Lori, and while we have spent hours watching films streaming online and discussing them afterwards over the last year, getting together virtually is just not the same as being together in person. 

Tomorrow morning, I will do some sightseeing, and in the afternoon, Lori and I plan to go to the National Cathedral to see "Les Colombes" (The Doves), a cascading exhibit of over 2000 pieces of origami before I drive to Oxford.

Peter and Katya, unfortunately, had to do a lot of motoring today. When the wind finally picked up in the afternoon, they still had to use the engine because thunderstorms were approaching. They safely anchored on Mill Creek before the rain began.

Heavy rain on Mill Creek at Solomons, MD



No comments:

Post a Comment