Saturday, May 7, 2022

The Nor'easter Has Settled In

As predicted, there was heavy rain overnight and the wind has been up to 30 knots today. There are no boats on the water today; even the watermen's craft never left the dock. There was a break of a few hours in the precipitation if not the wind earlier today, so I was able to walk around town and purchase my daily Diet Coke. I always see lots of cottontail rabbits. I am sure that they outnumber the human population.

Young cottontail on the dock

Meanwhile, back at the boat, Peter, who installed a new electric flushing mechanism on the toilet yesterday, had detected a small leak and also determined that the joker valve was not working properly, so he spent many hours today removing and disassembling the toilet and starting from scratch. He is, of course, a genius, and it all seems to work perfectly now.

Peter looking at the upside down toilet

I did a bit of cleaning today, and each day I prepare three good meals. In my abundant spare time, I read, do puzzles and study Spanish online. Tomorrow I think I will get out my current embroidery project. 

Peter and I are now huddled inside, playing Scrabble, with the space heater on intermittently. He is such a wonderful husband; he woke up before I did today and started it up in our cabin! We only use it for short periods of time, being ever conscious of the batteries since it runs off the inverter. We tend to be conservationists in terms of our usage of water and energy at home, but on the boat, particularly when we are not docked (which is most of the time), we are even more so, always aware that the water and fuel tanks hold large but finite amounts of liquid and the solar panels cannot supply all our needs. Living on a boat is a great way to learn about voltage and amps and other electrical terms. 

The outside temperature is 50 degrees F, and it doesn't feel much warmer below deck because the space heater has been off for a while. It's time to boil water for our hot water bottle and snuggle into bed with a book.

This is what it looks like from the dock



No comments:

Post a Comment