I crossed the bridge from the island of Amager to the island of Zealand, which is the main island where Copenhagen is situated. From the bridge, I could observe some of the swimmers participating in the two-day TrygFonden Copenhagen Swim (also know as the Christiansborg Rundt since the course circles around the the islet of Slotsholmen where the enormous Christianborg Palace is. This weekend there will be over 5,800 participants. This afternoon and evening includes a 4 x 500 meter relay and a 10,000 ultra distance swim and later a 2,000 meter night swim with glowing buoys. Tomorrow throughout the day there are 1,000 and 2,000 meter races. Our British friend John and his daughter Phoebe are participating in one of these.
| Swimmers in the event |
| Christiansborg Palace |
| More swimmers |
As I walked through the palace grounds and to the other side of Slotshomen, I stopped again to watch the swimmers while admiring the architecture and ambiance of downtown Copenhagen. I walked passed Tivoli Gardens to get to the tourist information center where I picked up a helpful map and some hints of things to see in a short time.
Strolling along pedestrian streets, I peeked into shops and looked at architectural details high up on buildings. I stopped into the Lutheran Church of Sankt Petri for a Baroque concert featuring viola de gamba, violin, cembalo and organ. The acoustics and the music itself were amazing. Inside and out it is a simple building, with the nave dating back to 1450, making it the oldest church still functioning as a church in central Copenhagen. The church was enlarged in 1557. In 1585, Frederick II presented the church to his German-speaking subjects, and it has been the parish church for the German-speaking Lutheran community in Copenhagen since then.
| The concert in Church of Sankt Petri |
Walking back to the boat, I passed more brick facades with traditional gables, enjoyed the ambiance in Højbro Plads and watched the beginning of one of the relay races by Nybrogade.
| Amagertory Square |
| Statue of Bishop Absalon on Højbro Plads in Copenhagen with the green copper spire of St. Nikolaj Church in the background |
I returned to Mantra by way of interesting streets in Christianshavn, passing many enticing restaurants. Peter's brother Rob is arriving soon to join us for our trip to and through the Kiel Canal and perhaps for the North Sea crossing. Whether we go out to eat or dine on board depends on the rainfall.
No comments:
Post a Comment