Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Good Times Continue in Elizabeth Harbour

Even though the regatta is over, our days continue to be full. On Monday evening, after posting on the blog, I stayed up late getting prepared for assessing the three children on S/V Providence. I realized that assessments were going to take longer than I anticipated, and I would not be able to work with all three on the same day, but it was too late in the day to radio them.

On Tuesday morning (March 7), the family of five arrived at 9 a.m., and I explained that I would only be able to assess one child per day, which was fine with them. On that day, I worked with the second grader, who, mostly because she is working with her older siblings, has mastery on almost all skills. The actual assessment for her took a little over an hour, but the family stayed a while longer so that I could discuss teaching strategies with the parents while the kids read and Peter played games such as backgammon with the oldest child.

After they left, we had lunch (I made chana masala and rice.) and became involved in projects (even though I had planned to snorkel right away). I got absorbed in removing old and dirty caulking around the kitchen sink area; even though the perimeter of the area is less than 10 feet, the job took me a couple hours. Peter finalized comparing boat insurance quotes and purchased a policy for the next year. Then he proceeded to read and ponder about the engine exhaust and other projects.

After my work, I put on my snorkeling gear and jumped from the swim platform, surprised and delighted to find a shark hanging out beneath the dinghy. I scared him and he swam away. I followed him as long as I could (He swam faster than I can.) to observe identifying features and immediately returned to our boat so Peter could hold open the appropriate pages in the fish book for me. It wasn't until I was back on board after snorkeling and a concert that I was able to determine, based on photos and text on behaviors, habitats and features, that it was a nurse shark. Things I observed yesterday that I had not yet identified while snorkeling over the sand and grass bottom and the fringe reefs were upside-down jellies and various types of sea stars. 

I took a quick shower, made hot chocolate, and dressed in a sweatshirt (I had stayed in the 80 degree water too long and was chilled as well as pruny.), and Peter and I dinghied to Sand Dollar Beach not far away to tie up to about 50 other dinghies off the stern of S/V Sailing Piano to enjoy a concert as the sun set. One of the things that people love about hanging out around George Town is that the cruisers have events going on every day, including water aerobics, beach yoga, Texas Hold-em, volleyball and performances.

Dave on his trimaran performing for his audience 

Cruisers enjoying the concert from their dinghies

The concert ended just as the full moon was rising. As the sky darkened, the reflection of the moon rippled across the deep blue water and anchor lights twinkled like stars along the horizon.

Elizabeth Harbour south of where we are anchored

Back on board, we had a simple dinner of quesadillas and listened to the 7:30 trivia challenge. We did not sign on, which was a good thing because we guessed less than half the answers. Ethan on S/V Kumbaya demonstrated a accurate memory across a wide range of subjects and was quick to respond. Kudos to him!

After that I worked on making a 5th grade assessment checklist in language arts and math in preparation for this morning's work. The family were here for 3 hours this morning. Part of that time was spent playing Boggle. Adam, the father, learned that it is probably not a good idea to challenge an English major.

In the afternoon, Peter went to town to fill a liquid propane tank (The truck comes once a week to George Town.) and then visited other boats. Earlier, he was able to accquire the elbow and gasket he needs to work on the exhaust hose. While he was gone, I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch, read a novel for a while, took a short nap and then cleaned the carpet around our bed in the forward cabin. It is less dirty than it was, but I would not call it clean. (Peter thinks no one notices except me.) Later this year, I will have to work on it again.

The sun has set. Tonight I will work on the 4th grade assessment checklist and make pasta primavera. Peter is busy at the nav table working on things that are mysteries to me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment